Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Nationals

well i;m sitting in the winnipeg airport and thought i'd blog up the race in brampton this past weekend

Conditions were not the greatest not only was it hot and humid it was also very windy. I think the temp was 31 with close to 100% humidity. Although it wasn't raining so i don't know if it is correct to say 100% is it Nolan? Winds were gusting up to 50k.

The swim was nuts. that's how i can sum it up, just nuts. Picture 60 guys on a beach lined up and then with the shot of a gun sprinting into the lake. I got punched in the mouth right away and then half way to the first bouy someone elbowed me in the eye and busted off my googles. With all the wind it made the lake very choppy. Literally i felt like i was a prisoner trying to escape from alcatraz.

Anyways, i was able to not get too far behind and had a fast transition out on to the bike. Caught up with a some group including mike simpson (probably the best cyclist at the race) and we quickly caught more guys and then closed in on the second chase group. I barely hung on until we reached that second chase group. Once there thought the pace eased up. We rolled into T2 in a group probably areound 15 or 20.

Out on to the run i set off with the front of the group. The run was good but i died around 8k getting a stich and then pain in my chest. I was done when i crossed the liine and quickly headed to the med tent where i got ice and could lay down.

I didn't get lapped by simon whitfield which was awesome and i finished 22nd out of 55 (`15th canadian). Overall very happy with the result. have to wait to see if i got one of the two university worlds spots, not likely but maybe....

We went to the party dinner afterwards and gorged out on chocolate fondue mmmmmmmmmm

spent yesterday relaxing and zzzzzzzzzzzz in caledon and then today made my homeward bound.

I will see most of you soon

next up is squamish and then peach classic.

all for now.

No comments: