Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Puerto

WOw, what a difference. Huatulco you have quiet streets, deserted beaches, great food.....Puerto you have pollution, killer buses, and anyone and everyone trying to sell you something.

I really enjoyed my days after racing in Huatulco with Chantel. We found a great spot to eat, trained smoothly and got to see Matt Chrabot transform from zero to hero yet again, my man crush!

Arriving on thursday to Puerto the team met up at the Palmer suites. Friday we had a look at the facilities....wait, what facilities? Saturday was time for the meeting, which reminded me of those story books as a kid where "if you want to ride through snake riddled pits and fire breathing iguanas turn to pg. 43" or " if you want to run alongside rabid dogs and hassling salesmen turn to pg. 12". Left the meeting more confused and dying for a coke.

Race Time!

Deep water start for 70 guys actually went off pretty smooth. There were quite a few different groups forming and I seemed to be in the middle. By the first turn bouy I got into decent position. Not good enough position however because after 750 a break formed that would gain 30s coming out into T1.

On to the bike I had great legs for the first lap. Chrabot and Co. were just in sight, however the group of 8 seemed to be all about blowing the legs off and then freewheeling repeat. After lap 1 my legs seemed to build lactate. I went to the back and tried to spin it out, but to no avail. I struggled with the remainder of the bike, not able to really help the group. Coming into T2 we had grown to 20 or so and 30s had swelled to 2minutes to the lead group of 4.

Running was not pretty for 5k. I then started to find a bit of stride and held almost even to the leaders over the last lap. Mixed feeling about the race, but have put it behind me and moved on.

Had a nice few days after the race to spend with JP and Kirsten at an all-inclusive before heading back home to Victoria to enjoy the rest of my break with Noa.

2010 is a wrap, am looking forward to much better things in 2011.

No comments: