Friday, October 01, 2010

Tuscaloosa ITU

Alabama is certainly one that I will remember. The race, the state, and the characters had a definiant engraining nature to them that stick into the old grey matter.

Arriving on Wednesday I spent the days leading up to the bang with Ben Collins in the luxurious La Quinta Inn next to I-25. Short workouts in the heat with lots of feet up time had me excited to race in the USofA champsionships as the lone Canadian.

Into the water/river we go for a straight shot of 800m to the first turn can. I struggled in this swim and found myself dangerously close to being popped a couple of times. I did manage though to exit the water at the back, have a good T1 and opening 2k on the bike, putting into the bunch.

The bike was perhaps the most interesting ride i've raced in. With Shoemaker in the group, it seemed like everyone took a turn on him each lap. He rode very well though and it wasn't until Matty Reeds spark on the final hill that some seperation occured. I felt strong on the ride and got myself into this break going into T2 for a clear change over.

Onto the run a number of guys flew by me. I seemed to get the legs turning over just after 5k and ran up a few spots to finish 9th.

Points, cash, and most importantly good Huatulco race prep = Mission Accomplished.

I'd like to thank Paulo for making the drive down from Nashville. Having the orange shirt on course was very uplifting. As well, Craig Taylor did a great job managing all Canadian affairs down there, making the time very enjoyable.

No comments: