Monday, July 27, 2009

Peanut Butter and Honey

When I was younger I wasn't a peanut butter fan. I have, however, been a honey fan for some time; Honey sandwiches were a favourite for school lunches. THere is something about the texture of honey that is irresistible. Peanut Butter came later, much later.

I would hear stories of people eating PB right out of the jar with a spoon and couldn't comprehend the habit. I remember a particular story that was told to Stevo, Scotty and I in the hot tub a few years back where a guy had a marathon runner stay with him for the Royal Victoria Marathon i think, and this guy would eat both by the spoonfull, one after the other.

Well, over the last 12-18 months i have become that spoonful tucking guy. I eat Peanut Butter and Honey more than any other food item. I cannot believe how much of it I actually eat.

One day I decided i needed to put some numbers to this craving, so I went to Costco and bought a 2kg Tub of Peanut Butter and a 2 kg tub of Honey. I would eat them both as I regularly do and once finished would count the days it took and from that determine how many calories per day of the two I was consuming.

Here are the Tubs upon arrival, July 4th, 2009.






Here are the Tubs on completion July 27, 2009



Together the 4kg's of golden deliciousness had 20,000cals of chemical energy. The period of time was 23days subtract 4 days when I was away, so believe it or not I consumed roughly 1000cals of the mixture per day over the time period.

I believe the craving for these two food items stem from their ease of preparation (no prep necessary unless you use bread), energy density, ease of digestion, and ease of eating (no chewing really). Together the two fuel me through training.

I do however need to watch the intake of them when I am not training that much, like right now. I do not want a relapse to last year which involved nutella

No comments: