Monday, July 13, 2009

San Francisco ITU Treasure Island

Yaaar Matey. Sailed back in from Treasure Island last night with mixed results.

The race was held on Treasure Island, located under the Bay Bridge (connects SF to Oakland) under sunny skies and temps of 22C air, 17C water. Wetsuit swim with one of those hokus pokus deep water rope starts, not a fan. Received a good Brazilian beating for the first 250m but then settled into a good rhythm for the remainder coming out near the front of the main group after 1500m.

Had decent T1 but the man I needed to mark, Mr.Whitfield, had a better one and had an agonizing 15m gap on me onto the bike. I hovered there for what seemed like a couple of minutes, contently thinking that the group forming behind me would catch up and we could reel him in. I lacked the killer instinct to burry myself in an attempt to bridge up to Simon. This was costly and a valuable lesson. The group did catch me but Simon rode away and joined the front three of McCartney, McClarty and Leto. However my race came to quick end when on lap 4 of 6 I heard the sound we all fear in racing...passing gas...from my tire that is. A flat front going into a tight corner spelt danger and I just managed to hold the corner and get off the course.

First flat when racing, has to happen sometime.

The race was not done though for my teammates so I set out on the run course to cheer on Simon, Andrew, AP and Kris. Simon set it on cruise for the run. The camo suit was quite fittingly for racing on a abandoned military base by the way! The highlight of the race was watching AMac take home 2nd! The break stuck and he had a great run! AP and Kris I think were happy with aspects of there races, but the full package wasn't there for them on this day.

I was so pumped for Amac and Simon at the finish that I went in to congratulate them both right after. What was I doing....I didn't belong there and then I go on to steal a high five from AMac as you'll see at around 1:30 into this video




Good times for all maties!

Now back to the grind, approaching 70.3 Calgary off ye starboard bow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Russell,
Thanks for posting our over night rough edited clip on your site. There is a better more in depth 10 minute video of the race. So if you'd like to post, we'd like to get more of our stuff out there as much as possible.
Thanks,
Jeff Higbee
Tri-Cal TV