Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Scarab

After work on Thursday this week, one of the whale watching outfitters who moors his boats on our docks asked if I wanted to come out for a spin to test the waterline of the boat. He was working on adjusting how the boat sat in the water by moving around sandbags, but for me it was a free trip. Thursday was not the calmess of days out on the ocean. Windy and choppy....

Now this boat is built for speed, long, narrow and outfitted with 3x250Hp outboards. Once we got out of the inner harbour speed limit, Brett (the driver), says "Ok, im gonna take it up to Max" what!? no said anything about max anything! Holly moth balls, i got scared in a hurry. Adrenaline rushed through my body as we hit 40knots (90km/hr) over big waves, catching air. At one point a wave actually busted me up off the floor of the boat and i was weightless, good thing there was handles to hold on to. The whole trip was a bit much for me, my knees actually hurt when we got back, because of all the impacts. whew, solid land never felt sooooo good.

No comments: